Get A Quote

Here to support you

Understanding the Health and Social Care system is extremely important when making decisions regarding care for you and your loved ones. In order to support those seeking care, we offer a free independent and confidential advice service. We can advise on the full spectrum of care options, the costs involved and how to pay for the care. We can also refer you to other health or social care teams as relevant. We are passionate that people are empowered to make informed decisions regarding care.
Funding your care
How to meet the cost of long-term care is an important and daunting process. It is vital that you are able to achieve the most suitable arrangement for you and your family. In some cases, people are unaware or left confused as to what funding is available from the state.

Our team can help you understand and consider all of the options available to you, both through our in-house knowledge and the external relationships we have. In particular, we can help you understand if you are entitled to state benefits to help pay for care and support you to claim what you are entitled to.

Below we provide an overview of the main care funding options.

Blank Accordion
1. Benefits Entitlements

Attendance Allowance:

This is a non-means tested, tax free state benefit and can be claimed by over 65s who have needed care for more than six months, regardless of whether or not they are in a care home.

Attendance Allowance is available at two rates: a lower rate, for those who need help during the day or the night and a higher rate, for those needing care during both the day and night.

The Care Collection can assist you to apply for Attendance Allowance – this will be discussed with you at your care assessment. Alternatively, you can apply by completing the online form at or by obtaining a form from a larger Post Office, Citizens’ Advice Bureau, Age Concern Shop, or the Benefits Agency themselves.

Personal Independence Payment:

Those under 65 may be entitled to claim a Personal Independence Payment to help pay for care support costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability. You can claim for PIP or Attendance Allowance, but not both. You can apply for PIP by calling the Department of Work and Pensions on 0800 917 2222.

Carer’s Allowance:

Carer’s Allowance is the main welfare benefit to help carers. Carer’s Allowance is worth £67.25 per week (for April 2020-21) and is usually paid every four weeks.

You may be eligible if you:

  • care for someone who receives the higher-rate or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, either rate of Personal Independence Payment daily living component, or any rate of Attendance Allowance
  • spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person
  • do not earn more than £128 a week (after deductions)
  • are not in full-time education

To claim Carer’s Allowance you should call the Carer’s Allowance Unit on 0800 731 0297 or visit to download a claim form or claim online.

2. NHS Continuing Healthcare

NHS Continuing Healthcare is a free package of care for people who have significant ongoing healthcare needs. It is arranged and funded by the NHS and you can receive it in any setting outside hospital, including in your own home.

To get NHS Continuing Healthcare you must (i) be assessed as having a “primary health need” and have a complex medical condition and substantial ongoing care needs and (ii) and having taken account of all your needs, it can be said that the main aspects or majority part of the care you need is focused on addressing and / or preventing health needs.

If you’re found to be eligible the CCG will discuss with you what care you need and you have the right to ask for a Personal Health Budget which gives you more choice over the services and care you receive and the provider you wish to use.

If you think you might be eligible, please speak to your GP or social worker who can make a referral to the relevant CCG. You can also approach your local CCG direct.

3. Local Authority Funding

Unlike NHS Continuing Healthcare, Local Authority funding is means tested and how much you pay towards your home care depends on a number of factors, including your income and savings. Your local authority will only help pay for your care needs if you are deemed to have insufficient assets to meet these care costs yourself.

A ‘financial assessment’ is used to gauge this which looks at both your capital (property, savings, investments) as well as your income (usually pensions and benefits). If your capital is above £23,250 (figure correct as at November 2022), you will be deemed a self-funder and have to pay the full cost of your care. Please note, if you are cared for at home, your house is not included in the financial assessment.

To get a care needs assessment contact social services at your local council and ask for a needs assessment. You can call them or do it online using this tool

    4. Private Funding
    Nowadays there are various options to finance care in a simple, sustainable way. Examples include Immediate Care Plans (also known as ICPs, Immediate Annuities or Care Fees Payment Plans) and Equity Release (whereby you can raise capital, income or a combination of the two from your home whilst continuing to live in it).

    What our Clients say

    Very good response to our family requirements. Professional, very understanding and caring. Being able to have a bespoke service was ideal for our situation and it helped the family through a very difficult time. The staff were extremely efficient and managed the care for both parents, maintaining their dignity and well-being. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend The Care Collection to anyone who requires bespoke care.

    Daughter of Client (aged 86)

    Catherine and her team are a top class care service. My aunt and myself are delighted with the high quality care and support we receive. Always pleasant, friendly and communicative

    Niece of Client (aged 95)